Sunday 3 April 2011

EVALUATION - Question 2


How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

For question 2 we had to write p a script for what we would say in our voiceover then edit this script we recorded into our music videos, we could also add specific pictures that we had in mind and various other things.

Below is my final edited voiceover and the script used for it




Hi I’m Georgina, and this is the music video I created for the artist Moby called ‘In this World’. The song is by an American electronic musician who released it as the second single off his 2002 album 18. The song features singer Jennifer Price on vocals. "In This World" reached number 35 on the UK Singles Chart.


In order for me to create the best possible image for my artist I wanted to combine influences from other music videos that I felt suited the ideas I had for mine, a particular one that caught my eye and that I continually used for influences was Ellie Goulding’s cover of ‘Your Song’ by Elton John. I liked how this video had a dreamy feel to it and how the songs emotional but the video consists of sad AND happy emotions. That’s exactly how I wanted my video to be.

In order for me to create a video that had the dreamy effect I wanted the main priority was to show the mise en scene of my video as early on as possible and to show it consistently throughout so I could add any affects needed to achieve this dreamy feel I had in mind. As said above the mise en scene was very important so parts of the video are just of the various settings I used so the audience at home would understand what Taylor (the main character in the video) is actually doing, maybe even relating to her.

The storyline of the video itself is a breakup between a girl and her boyfriend and I wanted to express this in a serious way not one that could be mislead as a joke, therefore I didn’t want any cartoon effects or comical things in the video. I didn’t feel the need to add subtitles or even have lip-syncing in the video because I wanted the audience to understand how the characters are feeling through their emotions and facial expressions which I think were quite clear.

Due to wanting such raw emotions shown in my video I used a range of close up shots planted in different places throughout the video so hopefully the emotion of Taylor is shown without having to be too literal. And also by doing this I experimented and played around with different effects, a favorite of mine was an effect called ‘echo’ as this enhanced the dreamy feel I was after, it basically made the shot of where I wanted the effect to be really bright and light and by also slowing down various different shots, again enhanced the specific dreamy feel. The use of different effects hopefully made the audience aware of the storyline and what it meant.

As said in my original plan for the video I wanted the style of the characters and the clothes that they would be wearing to be quite indie and funky and when thinking of this my first thought was the popular TV show ‘Skins’, and a main character of this program from a previous series is ‘Effy’ someone that I definitely tried to base Taylors appearance on. The image I tried to portray was quite a messy although yet funky and quite ‘out there’ image. I think many of the younger generation of the audience watching the video, would recognize ‘Effy’s’ style and the whole ‘Skins’ theme.

For my digipack I wanted to keep in with the theme of the video as a whole and not forgetting to relate to my target audience. The pictures taken for the CD covers were done outdoors to get the mise en scene in shot; I felt this would merge well with the idea of the video. I don’t think I based the images for the digipack on any particular CD covers I have seen in the past I kind of went with what I felt looked good and how well it suited the video. Most of the pictures for the CD covers were however quite moody, stern images.

For my magazine poster, that would be advertising the single, I wanted to keep it quite plain but still in theme with the video. Its an image of Taylor who by now the audience should know is the main character in the music video, posing on a set of stairs, I added an effect to make the image appear quite blurry and perhaps even like she’s been painted. I felt it looked really unique and because the way she is posing is again moody and serious it keeps in with the theme of the CD covers for the digipack. The bold writing on the poster keeps it modern and realistic and also grabs the audience’s attention; I feel overall it’s quite a statement piece.

To conclude I felt that I have successfully accomplished a professional looking music video and displayed the editing techniques within my video made on Premier Pro. The feedback I received from fellow piers and others, was really good and I am really pleased with the outcome however constructive criticism is also a good thing and finding out what people didn’t like was quite interesting.

Overall I felt my digipack and magazine advert promoted my artist well and that my music video created the image I wanted my artist to have, I also feel the two products merged well together to create a great final finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment